Operational Research Specialist (f/m/d)
Operational Research & Innovation department (within COO organization) aims to support zooplus in transforming its operational model using sound quantitative approaches and methodology. We define objectives and goals for various business processes/functions, and evaluate alternatives that help achieve them. While doing so, we need to be aware of the constraints that might hinder us and find ways to break them through innovation. With a relentless focus towards the company’s goals, we want to envision and reshape the future of our business and be the trendsetter in e-commerce and online retail. We are looking for smart people who can support us in our mission. The position will be full time (40 hrs/week) and the working location will be Munich, Germany.
- Help our organization make better decisions based on data using advanced analytics and mathematics.
- Define and refine problems and develop algorithmic approaches to solve them.
- Interview and survey stakeholders involved with the process or problem under review.
- Investigate complex business challenges and obstacles.
- Determine best practices for the method of analysis based on the problem at hand.
- Develop practical solutions using statistical analysis, simulations, predictive modeling, etc.
- Advise managers and executives on best practices.
- Engage with developers to improve the technical development of algorithms, IT products, etc.
- Stay up-to-date with latest trends in Operations Research, Numerical optimization, Machine learning, etc. and apply them to the companies' business model.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) with a strong quantitative focus, e.g. Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Business administration, Operations Research, etc.
- Expertise in mathematical programming, optimization algorithms, simulations and statistics.
- Strong scientific mindset preferably demonstrated through academic experience.
- Strong programming skills in scripting languages e.g. Python, R, etc., and ideally other higher level programming languages e.g. Java, C++, etc.
- Skills in one or more of optimization tools (e.g. Gurobi, CPLEX, GAMS, etc.), simulation tools (e.g. ARENA, Anylogic, etc.) or Mathematical languages (MATLAB, Julia, etc.)
- Ability to handle and process large amounts of data and derive useful conclusions.
- Creative thinking and problem solving skills, particularly in business environments.
- Great communication skills to present complex ideas to technical and non-technical audience alike.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a can-do-anything attitude.
What makes zooplus a great place to work
- Motivated and friendly teams with over 50 nationalities
- Dedicated Buddy to support your onboarding
- A partnership with a selected gym
- A central location in Munich
- Flexible working hours and healthy work-life balance with 28 vacation days (plus Dec 24th and 31st)
- Hybrid working model with 2 office- & 3 flexible days
- Modern workspaces, state-of-the-art equipment, and mobile phones
- Continuous development through internal and external training opportunities
- Employee discount for all company shops
- Company pension scheme
- Company events
In case you didn´t know
Zooplus AG was founded in Munich in 1999 and today we are Europe´s leading online retailer for pet-related products. With an annual double-digit growth rate, we have already successfully rolled out our business model in 30 European countries and we are expecting further sustainable growth in European e-commerce. We remain faithful to the key values of our company – a dynamic and flexible approach, constant learning opportunities, and inventive thinking at every level and position in the organization.
You want to know more? Let´s have a talk! Apply now.